KpacoTa CnaceT Mup-Beauty Will Save the World

(Quote from Fyodor M. Dostoyevsky's THE IDIOT, 1869)


Thursday, June 12, 2008




What a hectic 2 weeks! Had lots to do leading up to company coming to stay at our home for my aunt and uncle's 50th Anniversary celebration. We're Eastern Orthodox (Russian Orthodox), and the priest who married my aunt and uncle was my family's priest growing up on LI.. His first wedding at our church as the new priest  was my aunt and uncle's. He came for the 50th , and performed a 'Rememberance' Ceremony, near the end of the service. For those unfamiliar, Orthodox services are one and a  1/2 hrs. long minimum. It was nice reminiscing, with Fr. Dan and Matushka(priest's wife) Dunya. What wonderful and sweet people! What happy memories from my childhood.


 My cousin had a dvd - a  1/2 hr. compilation from about 5 hrs. of family film, that he had put to music. In it are my parents at a young age, and myself and my siblings. My sister and I were dancing, and always rested on my dad's lap. We were  daddy's girls. It brings tears to my eyes, seeing him on this dvd. He passed away 28 years ago and was , I knew, the most wonderful father in all the world. In a father's day card I once wrote (found in his special memory  files that he kept for each of us ) in Russian- 'Papa , papa, papa, shto mi budyem dyelat' bez tebya?'-which means, "Papa, papa, papa, what will we do without you?' I always knew I was loved by my parents. What a tremendous blessing.

The roses are an old rose bush from my mother's garden that we transplanted 2 times, after her passing 9 years ago. (Those darn Japanese Beetles do a number on the leaves). She even sends me roses in different seasons. It is my mother sending me her love.

The green moth was on our front doorstep one night and the next morning. How unusual! What do you think? Have you ever seen one such as this? Does anyone know what kind it is?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the last picture-of the roses- seeing how I took this picture. ^^

Lydia said...

Yeah-You did a great job at it ! Thanx-xola

Jann said...

Lydia, that moth is a Luna Moth. How lucky for you that you had a close up look at this beautiful creature--I've never seen one in person! ~Jann

Lydia said...

Thanx for the Luna Moth info, Jann!