KpacoTa CnaceT Mup-Beauty Will Save the World

(Quote from Fyodor M. Dostoyevsky's THE IDIOT, 1869)


Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My Great Grandfather Nicholas


Here's another picture that I probably made at the same time as the one with me and my sister below. This one , also yellowed, is harder to see because the original picture was already very old when I photocopied it in my youth. My great grandfather was also in old age in this picture.


My great grandfather was an artist and sculptor. He lived in Tula, Russia.Tula is the wrought iron factory town outside of Moscow. They made their canons there, and their samovars. For those who may not know, a samovar is for making tea. It is made out of some kind of metal-  brass, silver, etc.  - In the center is a cylinder where you put coals to heat the water. There is a 'spicket' to turn the very hot water off and on. You will now see plug -in samovars  all over Russia. The Russians love their tea. 

Does anyone own a samovar? I'll try to post pictures of the ones I have. One is very old and beautiful. It was my Mom's and resides in my dining room. I have three, so that I can bequeath one to each child. Seeing how our children love vintage items and antiques, I'm sure that they would all enjoy the oldest. But  all three of our samovars have some age and are beautiful in and of themselves.

2 comments:

Jann said...

I love reading your posts, Lydia! I did not know what a samovar was--very interesting, especially so because I just love a cup of hot tea--not so much the herbal kinds, I love black tea. In answer to your question, on my little ATC, those circles in the background are part of the scrapbook paper I used, and yes, I usually paper the backs of my cards and sign them.

Unknown said...

wow!!! this was a cool post and great picture... so neat !!! Tahnks for sharing. Thanks too, for stopping by commenting on my daughters retro dress. Hope to see you soon. Mica