KpacoTa CnaceT Mup-Beauty Will Save the World

(Quote from Fyodor M. Dostoyevsky's THE IDIOT, 1869)


Thursday, July 2, 2009

Some things on my table....(click to enlarge for better view)

This kitty's face is vintage. I bought about 70-100+(in a boxed lot) at the first flea market that I went to as a young Mom. I always wanted to make them into little dolls, but never got to them and sold most of them through the years. I have maybe about 25-35 faces left. They are printed from the 1930's-40's. This cat doll is almost done and has more detail not shown here.


The girl is painted and is from an old sketch of mine. She's got long arms and will probably hold flowers or a kitty. Her body is from the vintage red , floral barkcloth that I got at Frizellburg Antiques, in Taneytown , Md..This little head will go somewhere, but for now, I don't know where. I uncovered a bunch of sewn doll heads and body parts from fabric, that I'd sewn years ago,(and actually had sewers helping me out). I glued a thick tissue paper onto the head, then painted it-thus the wrinkles, which I kind of like. I liked the cut flowers and their colors near these items , so I was just fooling around here.

The orange 'thing' will turn into a little kitty, but will have a face sewn on in some way. Not sure about the limbs yet. This is small, and I'm looking for little bodies to make to put onto some children's puzzle blocks that I recently purchased at a yard sale.
This little girl's head is made with a stuffed cotton batting head that I had had. I painted her head, then sewed it onto some Matryoshka arms that I had from a previous Matryoshka doll that I developed and used to sell. I painted, then sewed the 2 arms together, and thought that they looked like legs. I was thinking Halloween. So, here I've taken the leftover of the American Eagle socks that I had, and draped them . I envision a striped dress on her in some way. She has a pair of shoes that are not in the picture.

These feet/legs go to the painted girl doll in the first shot for this post. These are vintage black, suede-tte booties, that I bought about 15 years ago.
And this little kitty, was drawn to be a puppy, but looked more cat like. Her face is just sketched in w/a smidge of paint. She needs way more paint.
Just a few things that I am working on............and what are YOU working on???

5 comments:

nollyposh said...

i ~Love~ these! You have a great knack for piecing things together... i especially love that they are vintage and each have a tale to tell X:-)

Lydia said...

Thank you for your kind words! You've spurred me on to work on them some more!:)

Laurie said...

Lydia, you are being so productive! It's inspiring! I'm' not working on anything except some tea towels at the moment - shame on me!

Deborah said...

Very cute Lydia. Love them! big hug, deborah

Jann said...

Oh, I love that little girl doll in the first picture! You are sooooo talented!